Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 05:35:08 -0800
From:      "Tim Brush" <tim@avantgo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD minimal install...

    After performing a minimal installation I noticed a large number of
programs that are very useful for a generic installation but are not
necessarily useful for a specific server types (i.e. firewall, web
server, mail server, etc.).  I've begun compiling a list of programs
that can (should?) be removed for specific servers (i.e. gcc, f77, uucp,
etc.).  There is no purpose for these programs on a firewall.  I
understand that removing these programs only add a tiny bit of security
but every little bit helps (you have much bigger problems if someone
gains unauthorized access to your systems).
    My questions are...

    1.    Has anyone already compiled a similar list?  If so, could
someone point me to it.  Is there a FAQ or additional information
regarding this?
    2.    Would a more appropriate minimal installation have these
programs removed?
    3.    Would people be interested in specific server (firewall, mail
server, web server, etc.) configurations?

    I understand that most people need to take the time to learn the
details of their systems (i.e. kernel configurations) but this may offer
a  head start on configuration issues and save valuable time.

Thanks,