Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 01:53:29 +0200
From:      clemensF <rabat@web.de>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   building a kernel after tracking stable fails

i upgraded my kernel sources today by cvsup(), also src-share, because this
happens when making a new kernel:

-----8<-----
DSLMFS $ fbsdmake depend
	.
	.
===> agp
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
make: don't know how to make agp_if.c. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1
----->8-----

the file agp_if.c could be made using makeops.pl, i guess, which is a perl-
utility transforming interface definitions from agp_if.m into the "real" .c
file, but apparently it doesn't get called.  there are other errors, too,
eg.

-----8<-----
In file included from ../../dev/advansys/adwlib.h:52,
                 from ../../dev/advansys/adwvar.h:39,
                 from ../../dev/advansys/adwcam.c:70:
../../../include/stddef.h:64: warning:
			  `offsetof' redefined
../../sys/types.h:104: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

i ran freebsd 4.0 before and made many kernels without any problems.  could
cvsup() have done evil tricks while going from 4.0 -> 4.3?  since the
neccessary files seem to exist, it might have something to do with the
Makefile, that's why i alsu cvsup'd /usr/src/share.  all the make templates
live there, with a second, sometimes incompatible set in /usr/share/mk.

does somebody know how to handle this?  i'm under pressure, because i'll
get ADSL in a week, which might need another kernel configuration.

clemens fischer

ps:  please Cc: me, i'm not on the list.