Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:05:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Loschert <loschert@servint.com>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions source-upgrading 3.4-s to 4.0-s

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> I would guess that the reason(s) that "Crypto & secure are now
> required" would be to support IPv6 (src-sys-crupto, not needed
> if you're not configuring IPv6) & to support the "new" OpenSSH
> (what tags for that?).

AFAIK

> I would also guess that now that OpenSSH has been "merged" (?)
> into the main source tree, it will install someplace besides
> /usr/local/* (where SSH1/2 both happen to be)?

Yes, /usr/bin.  You will probably want to either remove these, or alter
your paths to allow you to access them, if desired.

> So now, what is the "status" of the "export restricted" stuff,
> wrt with the recent changes in export controls?  I guess what I
> may be asking is the following:
>
> 1.  What was (& now is) export restricted to start with?
> 2.  What was (& now is) different about what you get if you use
>     the "international" cvsup site?  (using the
>     secure-stable-supfile as an example; apparently it only
>     fetches crypto)

Not exactly sure, check the mail archives if you are really curious.
Otherwise, just set your /etc/make.conf file appropriately, cvsup from the
appropriate host, and you should be fine.

> After upgrading (& with 4.x) am I required to use those new make
> targets or can I do it the Good Old-fashioned Way?  (cd
> /sys/i386/conf; <edit config>; config <...>; cd
> /sys/compile/...; make dep; make; make install)

You should be able to do it the old fashioned way, because at that point
all of the supporting tools for 4.0 have been installed.

> Thanks, I plan to.  :)  Speaking of which, will things like
> XFree86 3.3.5 (as distributed with the 3.4 CD set) run ok with
> 4.x or must I recompile or upgrade it as well?

Not sure, I haven't tried X on an upgraded box yet.

- Matt

--
Matt Loschert                           loschert@servint.com
Software Engineer                       voice (703) 847-1381