Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:12:51 +1030
From:      "Martin Minkus" <diskiller@cnbinc.com>
To:        "Neil Bradley" <neil@synthcom.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.0 SMP Problem?

> I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but I've gotten three kernel faults
> while untarring a file when FreeBSD 4.0 current is running in SMP mode. It
> doesn't always happen, and appears to be fairly unpredictable.
>
> If I disable SMP, I don't get the kernel faults. Alternately, my FreeBSD
> 3.4 operation in SMP mode is dead solid.
>
> I'd like to help gather info on this problem for the appropriate people.
> To whom should I speak to about this? What other details can I give to
> assist?

Your not the only one. I had 4.0 panic, and crash time and time again.
Sometimes it'd panic before it could boot all the way up. It also liked
to spontaneously reboot quite often.

Disabling softupdates got rid of alot of the crashes, and the rest were
due to SMP.

SMP alone, and softupdate alone, and everything else, is broken on 4.0.
I cvsup'd a few days ago, so it was a recent current. No, i am not
going to try it again, this is a server, and i can't afford anymore
downtime.
Once i get another machine i can play on, i would love to move my
4.0-current source tree over, cvsup to update it, and make world to
try it out and play some more. But its not possible right now.

But then again, 3.4 with SMP + Softupdates is cause for trouble too
and causes constant panics for me. Disable softupdates, and all is sweet
again. I use softupdates on a non-smp system (also 3.4) and all is
sweet aswell. So SMP+Softupdates on 3.4 is seriously broken.
3.4 + SMP + No Softupdates + Async is damn fast, and reliable. So
thats what i use.

martin.

--
diskiller@cnbinc.com