Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:35:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Burton Sampley <bsampley@bsampley.vip.best.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Burton Sampley scribbled this message on Nov 11:

> > I'm really curious what people are doing to complete make world in such
> > disgustingly low amount of time.  I just recently upgraded from IDE to
> > SCSI (IDE drives are still installed, but are presently not being used)
> > and installed a 233-MMX (overclocked to 266 using 75MHz bus speed)  and
> > the best time I can get for make world is 3:00 hours.  I started with
> > source code from 9/11 with /usr/obj/ empty.  I'm only using the
> > plain-vanilla 'make world' from /usr/src.  Any suggestion?
>
> well.. sounds like you need to enable -pipe on the CFLAGS (see
> /etc/make.conf)... and you also need to pass something like -j4 on the
> make commandline to enble parallel building...  this dropped my time
> bye 25%... note though, that some of those times are with some parts of
> the build disabled...

Even without doing parallel builds, his worldstone still seems low for
such a powerful system.  I routinely do make world (*** on 2.2-STABLE ***)
in about 1h30min, including cleaning, etc on a K6-187.5 (166 chip at
75x2.5) with 32 megs SDRAM and an IDE disk.  (Usually some recent Western
Digital, right now it's a 3.1 gig).  His system should be (I would think)
significantly faster than my build box.

The 1h30 varies a little by the exact configuration at the time (sometimes
I have older HDs in there or whatever, but lately I've been burning
CD-Rs with that machine, so I have a big 3.1 gig disk in it), but I always
have it well under 3 hours, even when I'm building TO AND FROM NFS!

I even had it down to just a hair over an hour on a K6-250 (233 chip at
83Mhz x 3) with dual WD IDE disks on seperate controllers mounting
seperate /usr/src and /usr/obj, both async, noatime.  It seems that at
that kind of processing speed, you need better disk than the IDEs, because
it should go even faster.  Although, I haven't tried a fast K6 using
parallel building yet.

Later......						<Doug>