Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:29:31 +0000
From:      Bryan Maynard <bryan.maynard@reallm.com>
To:        FreeBSD Java <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Tomcat locked down

I know this is a simple thing. . . ;-)

I installed Tomcat 5.0.30 from the ports and just entered: make install clean.

Tomcat seems to run fine, but i can't do anything with it! My user account
"Bryan", but Tomcat runs under user "www" so I have to either go to a
terminal or log into KDE as root to do anything with Tomcat. Aside from being
annoying, the problem with this is that I've also installed sysdeo tomcat
plugin for eclipse. When I am logged in a root, I can start, stop, and
restart Tomcat just fine. But when I'm logged in as Bryan no such luck. I've
tried running Eclipse under "root", but I get an su error when I try that.

I also cannot drop webapps nto the webapps forder. This is a problem because I
am using Apache Axis and need to put Axis' stuff (jars and such) in the
webapps folder. I can't keep switching back and forth between root and Bryan,
and certainly can't do all my dev work as root!

I know there's a simple solution to all this, I just don't know what it is!
Thanks for all your help. . .

Bryan
--
Open Source: by the people, for the people.