Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:27:43 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange FreeBSD / KDE behaviour during network problems

Hi!

> today our company's inet falled out for a few hours. Only intranet worked.
> During this
> time I've booted my FreeBSD-STABLE (which took quite long due to ntpdate and
> hostname)
> and tried to start KDE with "startx". It did not work and din't even print
> messages to
> the console. So I rebooted and tried again. Sometimes KDE started, sometimes
> it
> didn't, and other times it started very slowly. Also not all (KDE)
> applications could
> be launched.

I recently set up my first FreeBSD+XFree86+KDE based desktop machine,
and ISTR having similar problems when the machine was unable to resolve
its own hostname. I cured it by adding relevant entries to /etc/hosts.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* What are you looking down here for? Read the message!