Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:06:03 +0900
From:      Taichu Tanaka <taichu@ihas.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux/alpha emulation available

Hello,

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:04:47 -0400 (EDT),
Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> I have been working on getting the linulator going on FreeBSD/alpha.
> What I have right now is in an alpha-test state.  I'm looking for
> feedback on how it works and pointers to important apps to try.

I've tested the Compaq C compiler and Compaq Fortran.

Our environment is
   4.1-RC, PC-164LX 21164A 533MHz
   linux_base-6.1
   linux_devtools-6.1.

Result:
  Compaq C (ccc-6.2.9.002-2) compiles just fine, with some condition;

   . Compiled executable must be brandelf'ed with "-t Linux".

   . I had to link the objects statically (i.e., with "-static").
     Shared executable claims as
       % ./a.out: error in loading shared libraries: libots.so:
         ELF file OS ABI invalid.
     (But this might be my installation fault...)

   I've checked the performance of the compiler. With my
numerical simulation model, the executable with CCC runs
about 40% faster than that with gcc-2.95.1.
Naturally, the performance is as good as Compaq C with
Linux/Alpha (that I used months ago).

   I couldn't compile with the Compaq Fortran for Linux
Alpha (cfal-1.0.7), with the shared library problem.
Again this might be my fault in the installation.

Anyway,

> If you're interested in producing anything resembling fast code, try
> to get this working.  The Tru64 version of this compiler beats gcc
> hands-down & I imagine the linux version also kicks some serious butt.

my dissatisfaction with the performance of the C compiler is
cleared. Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
					    Taichu Tanaka

Cloud Physics and Chemistry Lab.,           Phone: +81-52-789-3484
IHAS., Nagoya University, Japan             FAX  : +81-52-789-3436
        -- Sherlock Holmes