Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:19:14 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        papowell@astart.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

At 12:24 AM +0900 7/11/00, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> >
> > >The package in the ports is licensed under Artistic/GPL. The BSD + keep
> > >copyright available on-demand is a much less restrictive license.
> >
> > So, the assumption is that FreeBSD will only be allowed to use the
> > BSD license if it removes the current version of lpr and changes
> > lprNG from a port to an integral part of the distributed system?
>
>No, that's not the assumption. I'm just countering your argument that
>the version imported would be _less_ "free" or "flexible" or something
>than the version in the ports.

Just as an aside, I think we're a bit out-of-sync here.  I have not
made any assertions about lprNG being free or flexible (or not-free
or not-flexible).  About all I've said recently in this discussion
was that I wanted someone to clarify the licensing issues that BSD/OS
had for lprNG, and what that implies for licensing under freebsd.

In the message you replied to, I was again just asking for a better
understanding of the licensing.  Your comment (the part I quoted),
states that the 'package in ports' is (and thus always will be)
under Artistic/GPL license.  I was just underlining that statement,
to see if the implication  of "always will be" is true.  Ie, is it
true that FreeBSD will NOT get a BSD+keep-copyright license for
lprNG if we leave lprNG as a port?

That is just a question.  It is not an argument.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute