Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:49:29 -0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Romildo Malaquias <romildo@uber.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Keymap "us international" in console

Hello.

In an attempt to have my US keyboard working with dead keys (the so
called "US International" keymap) I have installed the attached keymap
file /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/us.iso.acc.kbd which, provides support
for dead keys, and added a line with keymap="us.iso.acc.kbd" in
/etc/rc.conf. I have also configured the console font to be iso8859-1
(font8x8="iso-8x8", font8x14="iso-8x14", font8x16="iso-8x16"). But
after rebooting my FreeBSD 4-4 system, I did not get the expected
behaviour.

The system accepts the dead keys, but cannot combine them with
the vowels typed immediately after a dead key to build an
accented character. For instance, typing 'a I get a beep and no
á character, as it is expected. But if I type ' followed by an
space, I get the single quote ' character.

Strangely, I am getting the same behaviour in a xterm window with
XFree86-4.1.0, which is setup to use the "us_intl" keyboard layout and
the pc105 keyboard geometry.

Any clues?

Romildo

--
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias               Departamento de Computação
http://iceb.ufop.br/~romildo       Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto