Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 11:56:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, jlwest@tseinc.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel messages....

According to Nate Williams:

> > > date  time  hostname /kernel: in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 2400
> >

> > No, it's not running out of anything.  It is attempting to keep the
> > per-host cache from consuming all available memory by shortening the
> > timeout after which they are deleted.  This message is harmless, and
> > you can ignore it.
>
> This is a very common question on both News and on the mailing lists.
>
> Is there anyway we could re-word this or even remove it if it's
> informational only.  I'm not aware of any other kernel informational
> messages which don't imply something 'bad' has happened, or at least
> that something needs operator attention.

	So.

	I've gotten similar (benign) messages printed to stderr
	from user-ppp, but only a root, I think.  Anonying.

	Couldn't we fix this from going to stderr and instead
	being sent as an informational message to root//and-or
	whoever is doing the sysadmin?

	I have finally (*I hope*) successfully gotten Cnews
	working, and it was thanks to the warning and urgent
	mail messages from new scripts that I was able to
	pick out nits, bugs, and small/annonying errors that
	were cropping up.

	Informing the sysadmin about what's going on just makes
	sense.  Anybody else?

	gary