Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:18:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [cups] /usr/libexec/elf/ld: unrecognized option

Hello Family,

I tried to install CUPS from /usr/ports/print/cups and the latest
was 1.1.12, so I took the cups-1.1.14-source.tar.gz, did a md5sum
and replaced the lines in the /usr/ports/print/cups/distinfo with
MD5 (/usr/local/cups-1.1.14-source.tar.gz) =
0dfa41f29fa73e7744903b2471d2ca2f

changed the Makefile

placed the cups-1.1.14-source.tar.gz in /usr/ports/distfiles with
the others and when I did the "make clean ; make install" from
/usr/ports/print/cups the results were quick, no errors but there is
NO "cupsd" anywhere on the system.  When I build the CUPS from
/usr/local from a tarball on other Unix's such as Solaris, Linux etc
all goes well so I did just that and when I followed the directions:

./configure --mandir=/usr/share/man

(then)

gmake

(I get the following errors)

[root@FreeBSD-4.5 /usr/local/cups-1.1.14]-> gmake
Making all in cups...
Compiling dest.c...
Compiling emit.c...
Compiling encode.c...
Compiling http.c...
Compiling ipp.c...
Compiling language.c...
Compiling mark.c...
Compiling md5.c...
Compiling md5passwd.c...
Compiling options.c...
Compiling page.c...
Compiling ppd.c...
Compiling snprintf.c...
Compiling string.c...
Compiling tempfile.c...
Compiling usersys.c...
Compiling util.c...
Linking libcups.2.dylib...
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: unrecognized option '/usr/libexec/elf/ld'
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: use the --help option for usage information
gmake[1]: *** [libcups.2.dylib] Error 1
gmake: *** [all] Error 1

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

TIA