Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:18:07 -0700
From:      Justin C.Walker <justin@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrating network problem - need diagnotic help

On Monday, August 27, 2001, at 10:07 AM, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> From: "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
>> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 101 09:29:34 -0700 (MST)
>> Sender: chad@freebie.dcfinc.com

>>> If you tweak the software to assign a MAC address to the something
>>> else that is locally administered (different from setting the MAC to
>>> the globally unique address of some older interface that failed), the
>>> hex would be: a:0:2b:3f:a5:15 (not that anyone does this any longer
>>> and there is no reason to assume that any part of the hardware MAC
>>> would be used if you are using a locally administered MAC).
>>
>> Actually, once you've set the second bit (mask 0x04), the other
>> 46 bits
>> can be anything you want them to be =and= you assume the
>> responsibility
>> for assuring they are unique within your collision domain.
>>
>> And, I don't recall a rule that says you can't have a multicast
>> source address (though my 802.3 book is at the office).  So, I'd
>> agree that the source address he's reporting is most probably
>> borked, but if that first byte were 0x03 (vs 0x01) he'd probably be
>> legal.  But that's also probably not what he wants...
>
> Chad,
>
> I'm afraid not. I do have my 802.3 handy and the source address field
> is not interpreted at all.

To be pedantic, (my copy of) the spec sez that bit 0 of the source
is wired to zero.  You can figure that any way you want, but the
implication is that you can't send a frame with the 'group address'
bit set from a conforming transmitter.

To be even more pedantic, isn't "the second bit" mask 0x2 (from the
preceding poster)?

> The I/G bit (individual/group) bit is
> ALWAYS interpreted in a destination address, so setting the "locally
> admin" bit does not over-ride this functionality. The import is that
> many devices (including switches) make forwarding decisions based on
> the setting of this bit.
>
> In any case, a hardware MAC address that has the group address bit set
> is clearly broken.

Amen.

Regards,

Justin

---
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |
Director of Technology                 |   If you're not confused,
Nexsi Systems Corp.                    |   You're not paying attention
1959 Concourse Drive                   |
San Jose, CA  95131                    |