Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 15:02:15 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Deleting a slice?

At 02:15 03-05-01 -0500, you wrote:
>First, those are partitions, not slices. s1a is partition a of slice
>1, etc.

OK. Sure wish I could get the nomenclature straight.

>Tmp needs to be big enough for worst case usage. Depending on what the
>server is doing, 99M could be more than enough, or badly
>undersized. /usr/should be relatively static, and has 208M free -
>twice the size of /tmp - so I'd recommend leaving it alone. Just
>adding /tmp to / will alleviate the problems on /, as well as leaving
>*most* of the space on /tmp available for temporary use. Of course, if
>something using /tmp then eats all the space on /, the consequences
>could well be worse than having it eat all the space on /tmp. The
>other alternative would be to leave /tmp alone, and put /var on /
>instead. /var is less likely to be filled up by something
>inconsequential than /tmp.

Good suggestion. Now that I have my Samba configuration figured out I'm not
getting /var/log filled up with strange entries, so /var stays pretty stable.

>You need to run "disklabel wd0" (wd? not on 4.3) to get the disk
>layout information. That will list the offset of each partition from
>the beginning of the disk, giving you the order of the partitions on
>the disk; it normally follows partition labels, but that's not a
>requirement. You should also find the b partition information, which
>is used as swap.
>
>You'll have to take the system single user; make a backup, including a
>printed copy of the disklabel; edit the disklabel - see the disklabel
>man page; recreate any file systems that have moved; then restore from
>the backups. You can also look for growfs - check the list archives,
>as it's not part of the distribution - which will grow a file system
>after you've added more space to it, instead of having to newfs and
>restore it. Don't neglect the backup in that case, though - editing
>disk labels is a dangerous occupation.
>
>         <mike
>--
>Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>                      http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
>Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

Thanks for the clear explanation. Now to the man pages <sigh>.

>--

Roger

You're only young once,
but you can be immature forever!