Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2008 23:10:54 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Wullinger <peter.wullinger@googlemail.com>
Cc:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keeping state on outgoing connections fails (?)

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:17:59PM +0200, Peter Wullinger wrote:
> I'll reply to Jeremy, since his answer somehow confused me.
>
> In epistula a Jeremy Chadwick, die horaque Wed Sep  3 17:26:32 2008:
> > I'm a bit confused by these rules and your network configuration.
> > Rule #1 allows any packet with a source address of 1.2.3.1, arriving on
> > the ep0 interface, destined to 10.0.0.2.  How exactly are packets
> > arriving on ep0 (which is bound to 1.2.3.0/24) with a destination of
> > 10.0.0.2 in the first place?  That seems strange.  Is your gateway on
> > your network blindly forwarding packets between networks or something?
> > Or is this FreeBSD box acting *as* a gateway?
>
> It seems to be a gateway, forwarding packets. What exactly do you find
> strange?  Have I missed something?

Sorry for confusing you -- if it's a gateway, the OP needed to state
such.  I can't assume it's a gateway, because in this day and age people
try to do crazy things with networks, especially with bridging.

If it's a gateway, there's nothing strange about it.  If it isn't a
gateway, I can't see how any of the above would work.