Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 23:28:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Matt Day <mday@artisoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic in fsync, 2.2-960501-SNAP

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Matt Day wrote:

> Sorry for the false alarm on yesterday's patch.  I saw "NULL
> dereference" and "fsync" and I immediately thought of that fsync
> dereferencing NULL bug... but that was ffs_fsync(), not plain old
> fsync()!  I think appropriate punishment for my error would be to
> find this other bug.  :-)

    Could you, pretty please?  ;-)  I've built emacs 19.31 linked with
the 2.2 libs to see if that was a problem, but I just saw one of the
shell servers die again tonight.  :(  I'm going to try your patch
anyway to see how it goes.  Thanks.

fault virtual address   = 0x18
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf012afc3
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbfff2c
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbfff58
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 5894 (emacs)
interrupt mask          =
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 26 26 24 13 4 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 giving up
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
Rebooting...

--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.