Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:59:53 -0700
From:      Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        Matt Meola <mmeola@uswest.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Having both SCSI and IDE hard disks...

--------------40E27519F90E32A93163B720

What make/model of drive is wd0?  I don't know much in the way of *BSD-related
fixes, but this sounds suspiciously like a hardware issue we ran into a couple
of months ago with a Western Digital Caviar drive and an older (+/- 1
year-old) Award BIOS.

Simply put, it refused to boot when jumpered as "Master" (it was the only IDE
device on that controller).  What we ultimately had to do was jumper it as
"Only" and from then on it worked fine.

Sorry if this was a wasted message; I'm coming into this thread a little late
so I'm missing a bit of background on your issue.

Hope this helps.

RAB

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Matt Meola wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I've tried:
> >   o A 4G partition for Ebola95, with th rest for FreeBSD;
> >   o Dangerously dedicated FreeBSD on the whole EIDE drive;
> >   o FreeBSD consuming all of wd0, but not "dangerously dedicated".
> >
> > In each case, booteasy simply won't allow me to boot FreeBSD from wd0.
> > I've got an Award BIOS, which allows me to boot from the SCSI drive
> > first; a real life-saver.  If I do that, then I get an "F5 drive 2"
> > prompt, along with the normal "F1 Dos" and "F2 FreeBSD" prompts.
> >
> > With dangerously dedicated mode, if I hit F5, I'll get "F1 FreeBSD" and
> > "F5 drive 1"; F1 does nothing (actually, the menu comes up again).
> >
> > With an MBR on wd0, booteasy just beeps at me when I try to boot
> > FreeBSD from that drive.
>
> Have you tried using osbsbeta.exe from the tools directory on disk one?
>
> Vince.
> --

--------------40E27519F90E32A93163B720

begin:vcard
n:Bettle;Roy
tel;work:(949) 452-1203
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.criterion-group.com
org:Criterion Group, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:rbettle@criterion-group.com
title:President
note:Businesses that depend on computers, depend on us.
adr;quoted-printable:;;26895 Aliso Creek Road=0D=0ASuite B404;Aliso Viejo;CA;92656;USA
fn:Bettle, Roy
end:vcard