Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:36:13 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: bad sectors on disk and vinum/ccd

On Thursday, 11 March 1999 at 11:44:26 +0100, Paul Dekkers wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have 2 disks which I both don't trust, so I thought mirroring might be a
> good idea. I tried ccd, and it seems to work well, but how does it work
> with bad sectors (of which I know there are on one disk)... Does bad144 -v
> -s /dev/wd2s1 work for it?

Both vinum and ccd assume a "perfect" disk underneath them.  They use
the standard disk drivers, and the wd driver supports bad144, so the
answer should be yes.  But IDE drives have their own transparent bad
sector handling, so a low-level format should do it transparently.

> How does vinum work with it?

They're both the same in this respect.

> And; I couldn't find how to get vinum working for mirroring - is
> that possible?

Vinum supports mirroring.  Add multiple plexes to a volume to get up
to 8 mirrors.

> (striping and concat results in almost the same).

The same as what.

> (striping with vinum was btw much faster than ccd!)

That's interesting.  I haven't done any tests.

> I also wonder because vinum has to use 'unused' for its slices.

This is to stop you from shooting yourself in the foot.  ccd will
cheerfully allow you to overwrite a ufs file system.  Vinum won't
touch it.

> BTW: how can I check if bad144 really worked? Can I get a list of bad
> blocks on my harddisk marked as BAD so I can check it really did
> something? With -v I saw too much crap, also that there were "double
> entries" or something...

Sorry, I don't know too much about the format that is used.

Greg