Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 17:19:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Triple booting -- HELP

At Wed, 23 May 2001 it looks like Kent Stewart composed:

KS-->
KS-->
KS-->Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
KS-->>
KS-->> At Wed, 23 May 2001 it looks like Jason La composed:
KS-->>
KS-->> JL-->I have a question about triple booting with win98, win2k,
KS-->> JL-->and freebsd.
KS-->> JL-->
KS-->>
KS-->> I've had success with using the following, the only difference may
KS-->> be that I already had windows and Linux installed, the key for me
KS-->> was having ONLY "primary" partitions and in my case the 4th one
KS-->> was for FreeBSD and the first cylinder of the (4th
KS-->> primary) FreeBSD partition was well above the 1024th
KS-->> cylinder. That's because I'm using Linux's LILO as the bootloader.
KS-->
KS-->One of the advantages of W2K on the MS side is that it allows 4 primary
KS-->partitions and one of those can be an extended. How you arrange them is up
KS-->to you.

<humbly_snipped>

...hmm, I had a strange problem where I had the following, in
both scenerios all partitions remained the same size. It appeared
that LILO could not boot FreeBSD "over" or "behind" an extended
partition:

[lilo in mbr]

This would not boot.

(A) primary   = windows
(B) primary   = Linux SWAP
(C) extended  = Linux partitions
(D) primary   = FreeBSD-4.2 (slices inside)

This would boot. (no changes in partition sizes)

(A) primary   = windows
(B) primary   = Linux SWAP
(C) primary   = Linux / (all in one partition)
(D) primary   = FreeBSD-4.2 (slices inside)

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076                 -o)