Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:45:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      ctodd@chrismiller.com
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.10, amd64, and raid

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> ctodd@chrismiller.com writes:
>
> > Has anyone gotten 4.x installed on this type of system? (ASUS A8V,
> > Athlon64 3500+, Promise PDC20378 (AKA Fastrak 378, TX2000), and Marvell
> > 88E8001 Gbe) If so, how did you align all the planets with the sun to
> > accomplish this? 5.3/amd64 was a breeze, but I need 4.10 on this system as
> > well.
>
> amd64 (even under i386 "platform") just isn't as well supported on 4.x
> as on 5.x.  There probably aren't many people with *any* experience
> doing what you're trying.

I've seen a number of people using amd 64 bit systems with 4.10, just not
with raid. The i386 port seems to work just fine, unfortunately I need
4.10 due to some drivers that have not been ported to 5.x.

> > Also, which file/pkg contains "base"? I could have gotten the system
> > booted with that installed, all the man pages, docs, and most of the s*
> > packages made it. At least with a booted system I could upgrade it.
>
> I don't understand what you're saying, but I'll nonetheless take a
> guess that the answer is "base/base.??".  That it might have been
> named a little differently on 4.x; possibly "bin" instead of "base".

I have narrowed the problem down to the 5.x kernel. I've been booting a
5.x cdrom because it sees the drives, then telling the installer to use
4.10 media. Apparently sysinstall is trying to look for 4.10 ported to
amd64, not i386. I was able to confirm this by running sysinstall on the
live 5.3 system (so that the Marvell Gbe worked with the patched driver)
and point the installer to a local FTP server, it's definitely looking in
the wrong directory and there is no amd64 port of 4.10.

I was going to compile a new kernel to boot from, but I mounted the 4.10
iso and found the kernel already has the pst driver so the raid controller
just doesn't appear to be supported under 4.10. This is a shame because
the controller is not limited to 64 bit motherboards, or even to AMD. So I
think the answer is that I have to use a PATA drive just for 4.10, or
(gasp) run Fedora for this project.

Chris