Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:11:25 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too much spam from uu.net

> It's very unlikely that the spam originates from anyone with a mailbox on
> a UU.NET system.  You're probably seeing it from addresses which are in the
> foo.DA.UU.NET or bar.MS.UU.NET which are PPP pool addresses used by resellers
> of the dial network infrastructure.  These would include MSN, AOL, Earthlink,
> the Well, WebTV and many others.

Right, and I think I made this point in my original email.  Since
they're clearly reselling to a lot of folks with no scruples WRT UCE
at all, the easiest thing to do is simply block *.uu.net since I
certainly don't want the job of having to track down every foo.uu.net
subdomain resold to a spammer-friendly ISP.  As Jon has also already
noted, the folks directly affected by this seem quite small and I've
gotten *far* less spam in my mailbox today as a result, so as far as
I'm concerned the exercise is an unqualified success.

> If you tried to report this to abuse@uu.net and that didn't yield
> satisfactory results, please let me know.  While "god ... knows
> which .. is repsonsible

Heh.  I reported it so many times and so frequently that Paul Vixie
finally asked me to cc him on all the reports, someting which I did
for a couple of months until we both got tired of the exercise.

- Jordan