Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 13:41:35 -0700
From:      Tony Rini - System Administrator <tony@thegrid.net>
To:        vallo@matti.ee
Cc:        keith@mail.telestream.com, Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Off Topic Solaris question

Let me preface this with my declaration that FreeBSD is the my favorite
OS for the x86 platform. It's small, fast and stable. I'm sure I could
go on touting the accomplishments of the FBSD team until the wee hours
but I'd like to toss in my .02 on the Solaris (off)topic.

I work with tons of servers. I inherited a motley collection of OS's,
platforms, etc. I have experimented with multiple combinations. I have
to give Sun my respect for the tight integration of OS and hardware. The
SCSI bus architecture and multiple RISC processors is IMHO far better
than anything I've seen Intel's camp produce. Of course I am only
speaking of the SPARC platform. To try to run anything but Solaris (or
Sun OS) on a SPARC is just asking for headaches. Trying to run Solaris
on x86 will yield similar results.

I try to determine my most business crtical servers (database, pop,
radius, dns, etc) and build them accordingly. Ever tried to run Oracle
on x86? You can do it, but for me its much more stable on Solaris. Sun
hardware, while being extrememly expensive, is also extremely reliable.
I tend to place those servers in the field where I dont have easy access
to replace a bad board or other hardware issue. I use FBSD for anything
that is on an x86 platform. Some of these include DHCP, smtp, local file
servers, LAN mail, intranet, etc. Of course my own personal servers
(Home Lan router, web servers, file servers, proxy server, etc) are all
FBSD. They lend themselves better to the cheap hardware and snappy
performance of FBSD.

Both serve their purposes very well. If you must learn Solaris do
yourself a favor and learn it on a Sparc. The differences are just too
great. If all you can do is round up some x86's then concentrate on x86
OS's. There's tons of companies using BSDi (I've fortunately migrated
ours from it) and more and more using FBSD and (ugh) Linux for critical
servers. I'm in the process of migrating some redhat servers to FBSD.
Not to start another linux/fbsd argument but FBSD fits my needs much
better and I feel the performance gained with FBSD justifies it.

Tony Rini                        tony@thegrid.net
System Administrator         Direct  805-503-7569
OneMain.Com                       www.onemain.com
           Your Hometown Internet