Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 16:43:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To:        "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New version of ngATM

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Andrew R. Reiter wrote:

ARR>How would people compare the current ngATM and current HARP stacks?  Is it
ARR>worth at all to fully port the HARP driver code to the ngATM code and just
ARR>waste the netatm/ code?

When I catch up with my clip code, then ngATM can everything that HARP
can (except for SPANs signalling. Does anybody actually still use that?).
Plus it has UNI4.0 instead of 3.1, it has LAN emulation and it should be
trivial to support PPPoA, PPPoEoA or what ever crazy combination one could
think of. There are also ideas to implement MPLS and other stuff.
And ngATM works on sparc64 and probably our other platforms too. Even a
short look at HARP shows that it will be a lot of work to find all the
places that assume sizeof(x) == sizeof(y) for several combinations of
types x and y (pointers, int, long).

With regard to drivers: I'm going to busdmaify the en driver. I think I
have an LE155 card somewher here, so I will tackle the IDT driver after
that. When this is done, we have all that is supported with HARP also in
ngATM.

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private