Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 2002 08:57:31 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0

--==_Exmh_777677455P

If memory serves me right, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 08:12:48PM -0600, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> > When FreeBSD 5.0 comes out, will there then be a RELENG_5 branch for
> > cvsup?  Will this branch be updated on a regular basis, or will it
> > only get updated when Release-5.x (x>0) or FreeBSD 5-Stable come out
> > (which I gather from the web pages will not be for quite a while)?
>
> No, there will not be a RELENG_5 until a later release, probably 5.1 or
> 5.2.  There should be a RELENG_5_0_0_RELEASE tag and I supposed there
> might be a RELENG_5_0 branch as well, but I don't know what the release
> engineers are planning in that regard.

Brooks, you're essentially correct, at least as far as anybody can be
right now.  :-)

I suggest that people who are interested in issues such as these read
the 5.0 Early Adopter's Guide, which will be distributed with various
5.0-RC snapshots, as well as the release itself.  It's also at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_777677455P

--==_Exmh_777677455P--