Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:13:18 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Show Boat" <showboat@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: repeated mysql oriented crashes

At 06:01 PM 7/20/1999 -0700, Show Boat wrote:
>Some hunting and searching has led us to believe that we are encountering
>a driver failure and that we should bring the OS back to -stable.
>
>As I said, I haven't done this before, so I'm a little anxious.  Before I
>take that step, I would be very greatful to hear some input from those who
>surely know more about this than I do.
>
>Is bringing the system back to -stable likely to correct our problem?  Am
>I missing some indicator in the error above?   Has someone else
>encountered similar trouble (and found a fix?)

I don't know if bringing it to -stable would fix your driver problem. I do
remember the odd message on one of the lists regarding problems with the
DPT driver.

However, I _do_ know that FreeBSD 3.1-Stable sometime after May 14 (that
was the last make world I did on a production server before hearing rumors
of the pthreads breakage) has broken pthreads support, meaning that if you
want to run mysql with native pthreads, it will crash. I don't know if this
has been fixed in -stable since it was last brought up in this list (end of
June/early July). A fixed pthreads library is available at
ftp://ftp.pcnet.com/users/eischen/FreeBSD/uthread.tgz , if it hasn't been
fixed in -stable yet. Your 2 options (if -stable's pthreads hasn't been
fixed yet) are to either use MIT pthreads (included with mysql) or use the
fixed pthreads tarball listed above.

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>