Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:00:46 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

Thomas Good wrote:

> > > Argumentum ad hominem, Doug.
> >
> >       No, an ad hominem argument is something like, "You're ugly and your mother
> > dresses you funny, therefore you are wrong about the mascot." My pointing
>
>  You stated previously:

[quote snipped]

> Or was this another `Doug' ?
>
> Your assertion is that my alleged disdain for society is why I oppose
> your efforts to sanitize the mascot...

	I am not trying to sanitize anything. And yes, I said that, and I stand by
it as an accurate depiction of your position.

> You also term FreeBSD a `vanity OS'.

	I didn't actually, that's a direct quote from Jordan on another thread a
while back. FreeBSD is a vanity OS by and for the developers. The fact that
it frequently is the best tool for other jobs is the result of the fact
that the developers like to put out a good product.

> >       Now we're veering off into an area that can't be debated on its merits, so
> > there is no point in continuing down that road. In reality I am quite well
> > informed about marketing principles but there is no point in trying to
> > prove that to you.
>
> Impressive counterpoint.

	You are using terms you don't understand, in a context you don't
understand to describe concepts you don't understand. There is no point in
trying to convince you of my background, experience, or the validity of my
points because you are not interested in the truth of any of that. You
prove that continually by trying to cast me in the role of "evil censor"
when in fact I'm not trying to do what you accuse me of. You then respond
by redefining "free speech" and "censorship" to fit your needs. So
obviously trying to continue this argument on its merits is pointless.

> You *are* proposing that they market their product in a twofold manner.
> In a style of their choosing - and one of your choosing becuase it makes
> you less uncomfortable.

	I never said that it makes me uncomfortable. Personally I don't give a
rat's ass about the logo (although the animated gif with the blinking eyes
is pretty cool). I've stated my actual point often enough by now that if
you really cared you would have picked up on it, so I won't bother stating
it again. I will say that I find it fascinating that the very idea of
creating freebsd stuff without chuck could provoke such a violent reaction
in people. I wonder what that means . . .