Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:09:39 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@pk.she.de>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@pk.she.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootEasy does not boot from the right disk (2.2.5-RELEASE)

At 21:24 Uhr +0200 02.04.1998, Doug White wrote:

>> Boot default: 1:wd(1,a)kernel
>>               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THIS IS WRONG!
>> There is no primary slave IDE disk installed. The kernel resides on
>> "1:wd(2,a)/kernel", the secondary master.
>
>Modify /boot.config on that disk to have `1:wd(2,a)/kernel' in it.  You
>have your disks split across the controllers and this confuses the heck
>out of the boot blocks.

Done. Works like it should. Now do you have some pointers about the
BootEasy bootmanger source? I'd really like to fix this once and for all,
since a lot of people stumble across that pitfall.

>Move the disk to the primary controller.  If you don't want to do that,
>you're going to get the obligatory ``can't mount root''.

Must have something to do with the shortcomings of good ol' PC achitecture.

>If you really really want to have the disks split, then follow these
>instructions:
>
>1. Have the line:
>config kernel root on wd2

Would this prevent booting this kernel from wd0?

>in your kernel config,
>OR:
>
>2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
>original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
>parameters unchanged).

Well, although this should work, it would prevent me to ever move anything
to wd(1,a), wouldn't it?

All I really needed was the hint to boot.config and a few hours of sleep.
Sometimes the solution sits right before your eyes and you just ignore it.
'man boot' helped a lot.

Again, thanks a lot. Apologies for the FAQ.
-Christoph Sold