Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:24:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libdisk Makefile chunk.c write_alpha_dis

On 25-Oct-2002 Mark Valentine wrote:
>> From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
>> Date: Fri 25 Oct, 2002
>> Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libdisk Makefile chunk.c write_alpha_dis
>
>> Just how do you intend to use "standard BSD device naming" for a
>> scheme which supports up to 16k partitions ?
>
> By mapping /dev/da0[a-z] onto partitions I will likely use.
>
> I am not precluding a new naming scheme to cope with new demands, simply
> stating that the existing scheme, which caters for 99% per cent of cases,
> should be preserved.

This is about like asking someone to stick a propeller on the end
of an F-22 and expect it to look and act like a Cessna.  This is
not realistic and is just a hack.  We no longer work on Vaxes in
the 1980's.  Seriously.  Trying to fit new paradigms into an old
format that really isn't an abstraction but you are trying to turn
into some kind of weird abstraction that most people don't actually
use just makes no sense from a future perspective.  Why would you
want to design yourself into a hole that you already know isn't big
enough for stuff that exists right now much less things in the
future?  I'm just amazed that people really think their i386 box
uses the same disk layout as some VAX from the 1980's.