Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 20:52:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        "Robert P. Ricci" <rricci@ns1.theonlynet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discovering the cause of crashes

> Thank you all for your help regarding NIS and radius. Now, I have
> another, more urgent problem. Our server is crashing (and
> rebooting itself) frequently - some times as often as 3x in one day.
> We're running 2.2-970215-GAMMA (We've had no luck installing later
> versions, and this is the most stable kernel we've been able to build)

WHAT?????  2.2-970215-GAMMA is old.  What kinds of problems are you having
when trying to build 2.2.2-RELEASE?

> on a Cyrix P150 with 32 megs of ram. There are never any errors recorded
> in /var/log/messages, just the reboot. No core dump is left behind,
> either. Are any logs kept that I can use to figure out what processes
> were running and which users were logged in at the time of the crash? Is
> it worth it to take the machine down for a few hours and build a new
> kernel? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Where you actualy there during the reboot? If it panic'ed you can see from
the panic which process caused the panic (sometimes), but this doesn't
tell you why.

> PS - One more thing: Once, a message appeared on the console at crash
> time about an invalid page fault while in kernel mode. The current
> process was #4 (update).

Just curious, have you recently changed/upgraded RAM?
When you get a chance, please try adding a wait state to your system and
seen if that helps.  On this system I have had problems max'ing out the
memory banks (although I used memory rated 60 ns.) and then getting
similar panics.

Good luck!

Bernie