Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 13:28:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Pccardc diffs

The following shar file contains the 'useful' changes from the -current
(as of 8/1/96) usr.sbin/pccard/pccardc sources to the 7/31-PAO release
sources.  Only the functional changes are supplied, white-space and
other gratituious changes are not included.

I hope to do the same with pccardd as well, but it's changed a bit more
and trying to merge in the changes has been alot more work due to a
whole bunch of changes I have difficulties accepting.  IMHO there are
*MUCH* betters ways of solving the problem, but since everyone involved
has been so busy communication has been difficult.

Note: The diffs provided introduce bugs, but I haven't spent time to
look at them.  The IRQ's listed by the old code are correct, and the
code with these changes in them are wrong.  Note also that these diffs
will not compile on a FreeBSD-current system and require additional
changes to the kernel tree which have not been (and may not be)
integrated.  In particular, I don't like the 'beep' functions as they
currently exist in the Nomad implementation, and in my opinion the
'power' code is a kludge to work-around the non-ability of
suspend/resume on the laptops.

The primary intention of the below diff is to allow the Nomad's and
other developers to 'sync' up their sources with the FreeBSD sources
*completely*.  They should be able grab a copy of FreeBSD-current
sources today and apply these changes to pccardc, at which point in time
they will have the *exact* same functional sources as before w/out any
non-necessary work for the Nomad's and/or myself when intergration
works.

My secondary purpose is to have people review the PAO 'functional' diffs
and fix the bugs it introduces, especially regarding the printing out of
the IRQ's.  The original code may have bugs in it, but at least the bugs
aren't visible in my testing, so the PAO code may fix bugs and introduce
new ones at the same time.

If someone else wants to help out and do the pccardd merge I would
certainly appreciate the help.  My time is *very* limited to work on
this, but I don't want any 'current' work to slip through the cracks.

Finally, in regards to the new 'kernel' changes, it is my belief that
you can completely throw out the PAO APM code since:

1) It doesn't follow the specification w/regards to apm_idel/busy
2) It adds *NO* functional changes but does complicate the readability
   of the code.

I intend to integrate my APM BIOS changes posted a couple weeks earlier
into the -current kernel, and then remove more of the complexity from
the APM code soon.  The patches I sent out for review went out at a bad
time right after 2.1.5, so I'll ping the folks and see if I can get a
response on them.

My goals are:

1) Integrate the APM/BIOS changes posted earlier
2) Finish the usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd merges
3) Review the 'XT_KEYBOARD' change from the PAO release and run it by
   S'ren.  I like the idea, but am unsure if the implementation is
   acceptable by S'ren.
4) Completely remove /sys/i386/include/laptop.h - It's an un-necessary
   kludge that I never should have brought in.
5) Integrate in some of the new drivers and upgrade the older ones with
   the newer code.

We're getting closer to having a much closer 'merge' of the PAO sources
and FreeBSD-current, and given that everyone's time is limited it will
make it easier on both the users and the developers to have the sources
more closely resemble one another.

Nate