Date:      Wed, 25 May 2011 00:43:21 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Shant Kassardjian <shant@skylab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SR71-A Txpower Question

Hi,

ifconfig wlan0 txpower 0 merely sets the txpower to 0dBm, which isn't
"off" strictly speaking. It's actually 1mW.

The SR-71A also has a TX power offset in hardware. If I remember
right, the hardware is actually a couple of dBm higher than what you
configure. So when you configure 19 dBm, you're programming the
hardware at 19dBm, but the hardware responds by allowing a max of
16dBm per channel, which is * 3 (3 TX chains, as per the patch I gave
you) to give ~ 21dBm. I'd have to check the math to get the exact tx
power offset but that's roughly what's going on.

Now, if it's documented somewhere that 0 dBm should be "killing" the
interface, let me know. :)

Adrian

On 25 May 2011 00:24, Shant Kassardjian <shant@skylab.ca> wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD-Wireless,
>
> I've been running SR71-A on FreeBSD 8.1 for quite some time now and it's =
been running very well. Many thanks to Adrian Chadd who really helped ironi=
ng out all my questions!

> My only problem so far that I've noticed is that when I do: =A0ifconfig w=
lan0 txpower 0; this does not turn off power to the wireless as it's suppos=
e to and rather I have to bring down the interface manually to shut it down=
 hence whenever I need to start it up again I have to reconfigure the inter=
face.

> >From my observation it looks like changing the txpower rate using ifconf=
ig has little to no effect controlling this adapter.

> My question is that, could it be because I have compiled the kernel with =
the following modifications as suggested by Adrian Chadd to take advantage =
of Max 3x antenna transmit power that I am having this problem?