Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:14:00 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced FreeBSD???

>>   But - for "Intel to hit it big" - they need Merced to become
>>  the next consumer architecture.  Since they are continuing with
>>  plans for the IA32 line (what x86 got renamed to with the
>>  advent of IA64, nee' merced) they are hedging their bets.
>>  I don't believe they are convinced themselves that Merced will
>>  be the answer to their dreams...
>
>	Ah... If they are still doing their 64 bit line, well, that
>changes everything. I was under the impression that they would only be
>selling the 64 bit chips after those came out, and therefore anyone buying
>a new computer would have to get a 64 bit one.  If 32 bit is still around,
>I'm sure people will go for the cheaper one,

Well, hobbyists and savvy bang-for-the-buck may take 32 over 64 if the
bang isn't there, but nowadays that is far from the entire market of
purchasers.  You're overlooking the status symbol buyers who just have to
have the latest/greatest and/or something better than the guy next door.
I recall a conversation not long ago with a sysadmin in the business
school here.  I was asking what their typical laptop configuration was
and was told that some members of their faculty were quite particular
about finding out what their colleagues machines had and then making
sure theirs was more/better/faster, etc.  I highly doubt this kind of
purchasing only happens here.  :-)

>	Definitely should be a FreeBSD port to Merced!  If lots of people
>do start buying them, and all that runs on them is Linux and NT, FreeBSD
>will kind of be left behind. Until the port comes out, that is...

??  I thought we had already established that neither Linux or NT runs
on Merced, only HP-UX so far.  I would certainly like to see a FBSD
port as I imagine we will be seeing Merced-based systems here quite
early on.

-Mitch