Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:09:13 -0600
From:      Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
To:        Alec Kalinin <alec@relex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Problem with allocation memory in FreeBSD-3.2-RELEASE

Looks like you're simply running the system out of swap by allocating and
touching 1 MB one thousand times for a total of 1 GB.

Malloc will eventually return NULL to indicate the system is out of memory.
Since you don't check for this, I'd expect a core dump when malloc returns
NULL and then you try to fill with zeros.

What did you expect to happen?

Charles