Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 14:43:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Darryl Bowler <darrylb@blinx.lizard.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tin and swap space

Whenever I run tin it seems die. When viewing /var/log/messages I get this error

Oct 27 13:35:52 blinx /kernel: pid 166 (rtin), uid 1002, was killed: out of swap
 space
Oct 27 13:35:52 blinx /kernel: pid 166 (rtin), uid 1002, was killed: out of swap
 space

Somehow swap space hasnt been released, maybe due to the fact that someone has not exited  tin correctly.

 I temporary solved the problem by using the swapon command, however it seemed
to want a file /dev/sd0s1b, which did not exist  until I made it with MAKEDEV.
(swapon -a)

Tin now works this way, but is this a valid solution to this problem,
how I view the swap space been used and by what process (vmstat??? maybe?)?

How do I release swap space?

Regards Darryl.