Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 17:42:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, security@FreeBSD.org, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: New host key for freefall!

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
> > organizations which use X.509 for internal authentication purposes
> > run their own CAs and deploy customized Web-browser installations
> > which come with the appropriate CA certs preinstalled.  (My employer,
> > which owns tens of thousands of computers and has almost as many
> > employees, does this.  People who install the ``latest and greatest''
> > browser from wherever don't get support.)
>
> We could implement this without too much trouble by shipping the root cert
> on CD with FreeBSD releases (and having some kind of online distribution
> method, perhaps signed by a bunch of PGP keys) and instructing people on
> how to load it into netscape (if it were to be used for https purposes).
> Perhaps we could even make the netscape port pre-load it - we already have
> the infrastructure for customizing netscape prior to use.

The typical cheap-skate response to other CA's being expensive is to get
an SSL cert from Thawte or Verisign, and distributed your certs via a web
ste hosted using that well-known CA.  You don't get the automated cert
evaluation, but can provide a trusted path for cert retrieval.

In a prior e-mail, someone raised that doing a full secure facility is not
necessary given the size of the project.  It's useful to understand who
will be relying on these keys as a means of evaluating the need for doing
the "CA" thing properly:

1) Is it just the committers? (small community that can forgive mistakes)
2) Is it committers + developers? (larger and less forgiving community)
3) Is it the general user population? (extrmely large community with their
   jobs and businesses on the line)

In addition, how will the certs be used?

1) For manual verification and retrieval only?
2) For automated installation of security patches?

My assertion is that if we begin distributing software in a signed way, we
need to do it right.  This means signing all release announcements,
signing md5 checksum sets over releases, signing security updates that can
be installed using a binary installer, etc.

We also need to understand that in more and more places, digital
signatures now have legal connotations.  Are we accepting more
responsibility by signing things in these places?  Do we become more
liable?  Hopefully the answer on this front is no, but it is important
that we be sure.  Similarly, if we start signing things, people will
assume they can have greater confidence when installing over the network,
et al.  Is this true?

Robert N M Watson