Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 21:13:22 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Read command timeout

Hello all,

After trial and error, I have managed to get freebsd to install (see "Panic on Install -
page fault syncing discs"), however on the first boot at the end of the boot sequence I
get:

ad0: read command timeout
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: WRITE command timeout
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: read command timeout
ata0: resetting devices .. done

looping for ages, eventually ending in a

/: bad dir ino 12611

and a panic which I didn't catch before it reset the system. Now it won't boot at all, the
whole file system has been screwed it seems.

I'm attempting to install 4.1-Release. My system is detailed below.

Anyone got any ideas what could cause this error, how I could fix it, or where I should
ask for more help?

Thanks,
Mark

System spec:
Biostar M7MIA motherboard, using AMD761 north bridge and VIA 686B south bridge
128MB Crucial 2.5CAS DDR PC2100 memory
AMD Duron 750MHz CPU
IBM Deskstar 6.5GB ATA33 Hard Disk Drive (partitioned as 4.5GB FAT32 Win2K, rest FreeBSD)
SMC 1211TX-WL 10/100 WOL PCI NIC
ATI Radeon VE 32MB DDR Graphics
12x ARTEC DVDROM
3.5" floppy drive, 1.44MB