Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:24:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, "Alan L. Cox" <alc@imimic.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getsysfd() patch #1 (Re: Virtual memory question)

:I always kinda liked the SVR4 fattach(2) and fdetach(2) syscalls.  You
:could do arbitary things like this:
:
: pipe(fds);
: fattach("/var/inpipe", pfd[0]);
:
:and so on.  I think this was how fifos were actually implemented.  The
:rendesvous point counted as an "open" reference count.  If all the processes
:closed it, the file entity wouldn't go away till the node was rm'ed.
:fdetach(2) also did the obvious thing.
:
:I'd rather do that than add another arg to the memfd syscall.  Otherwise
:we're heading into shm_open() look and feel territory.  Hmm.  I wonder if
:the POSIX folks would object to us calling the syscall shm_openfd() ?
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter
:--
:Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com

    Hmm.  Well, the opengroup manual page for fattach() basically says
    that you fattach(filedes, path) to an existing file and operations on
    the file are then operations on filedes, but the manual page is
    specifically STREAM oriented.  We could use it for other types of
    file descriptors but I'm somewhat worried about how error conditions
    would be detected... for a memory descriptor how do you know you are
    mmap()ing the memory descriptor rather then the file?

						-Matt