Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:36:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>
Cc:        joe <joe@lab.cba.ualr.edu>, Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: programming

On Friday, 15 January 1999 at  6:20:33 +1000, Greg Black wrote:

>>> The only good book about C is "The C Programming Language", 2nd
>>> ed., B.W. Kernighan & D.M. Ritchie, Prentice Hall.
>>>
>> Another good book that you might be interested in is "Expert C
>> Programming" by Peter van der Linden. It discusses stuff that you
>> wouldn't normally find in standard texts.
>
> Sorry to keep this going, but that book (like 99.9% of other
> books on C) is not worth the paper it's printed on.  When it
> first came out, I reviewed it carefully and noted dozens of
> errors.  Van der Linden mixes bad advice in freely with the
> good, which makes it hard for non-experts to determine what to
> believe (and if the reader knows what's good and what's not then
> s/he doesn't need the book).
>
> Stick to Kernighan and Ritchie for C.  Use system-specific and
> topic-specific books for programming under Unix or Windoze or
> using TCP/IP, etc.

I've come on this thread somewhat late.  The (now anonymous)
originator was looking for an advanced level book, and I don't think
K&R fits this ticket.  I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Rich
Steven's ``Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment'' (and in
passing his two-volume ``UNIX network programming'').  Those are the
books I still look at, along with Harbison and Steele's ``C: A
reference manual''.

Greg