Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 18:09:10 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Triple booting -- HELP

Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> At Wed, 23 May 2001 it looks like Kent Stewart composed:
>
> KS-->
> KS-->
> KS-->Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> KS-->>
> KS-->> At Wed, 23 May 2001 it looks like Jason La composed:
> KS-->>
> KS-->> JL-->I have a question about triple booting with win98, win2k,
> KS-->> JL-->and freebsd.
> KS-->> JL-->
> KS-->>
> KS-->> I've had success with using the following, the only difference may
> KS-->> be that I already had windows and Linux installed, the key for me
> KS-->> was having ONLY "primary" partitions and in my case the 4th one
> KS-->> was for FreeBSD and the first cylinder of the (4th
> KS-->> primary) FreeBSD partition was well above the 1024th
> KS-->> cylinder. That's because I'm using Linux's LILO as the bootloader.
> KS-->
> KS-->One of the advantages of W2K on the MS side is that it allows 4 primary
> KS-->partitions and one of those can be an extended. How you arrange them is up
> KS-->to you.
>
> <humbly_snipped>
>
> ...hmm, I had a strange problem where I had the following, in
> both scenerios all partitions remained the same size. It appeared
> that LILO could not boot FreeBSD "over" or "behind" an extended
> partition:
>
> [lilo in mbr]
>
> This would not boot.
>
> (A) primary   = windows
> (B) primary   = Linux SWAP
> (C) extended  = Linux partitions
> (D) primary   = FreeBSD-4.2 (slices inside)
>
> This would boot. (no changes in partition sizes)
>
> (A) primary   = windows
> (B) primary   = Linux SWAP
> (C) primary   = Linux / (all in one partition)
> (D) primary   = FreeBSD-4.2 (slices inside)

I had a similar problem. I wanted to add Linux but if FreeBSD couldn't be
the 2nd partiton and still boot Linux, then, Linux was going to be removed.
I still don't have a Linux system. I had to have the FreeBSD / partition
located in front of 8.4 GB since I was installing 4.0. I have two systems
with the large freebsd slice located after the dos extended partition and
two more that have the freebsd slice in front of the extended partition. I
have a version of Windows 2000 booting from the extended partition in 2 of
the 4. I only have 3 partitions on these drives. They are typically 30GB
drives.

I use NTLDR to boot FreeBSD. I use /boot/boot1 to actually do the boot. To
do this, you have to copy boot1 onto your C-drive as bootsect.bsd and add
that to the NT boot.ini. NTLDR has no problem booting FreeBSD regardless of
the relative position on the HD. I have a convention that no OS goes on my
C-drive. It is strictly for booting and data transfer.

It has been very painless to setup and use.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA