Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 05:27:49 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUS, pcm driver and Volume COntrol

#define quoting(Luigi Rizzo)
// >
// >   Am I crazy or my GUS PnP pcm device does not have a master volume control ?
//
// The driver does not support it. I have no idea if the GUS chipset
// has it or not.

The windows driver has a volume control, and it does not seem to be
a fake or emulated control.

Your GUS support is just a kind of mss emulation, isn't it ?
Does mss have master volume control ?

// In any case I don't see much of a problem, since
// you still have independent controls on all channels...

Sometimes is not enough, and you will only know when it's to late.
Right now I had multiple sound sources playing simultaneously and
had a sudden need to lower all of then at once.  Just then I noted
that xmmix lacked that control.

// > dogbert::root [550] cat /dev/sndstat
// > FreeBSD Audio Driver (980215) Mar 18 1998 06:41:24
// > Installed devices:
// > pcm0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.11> at 0x220 irq 7 dma 1:5
// > pcm1: <GusPnP> at 0x348 irq 5 dma 3:7
//
// For me it's a great satisfaction to see people using multiple audio
// cards on FreeBSD :)

Yeah !!!!   :)

Sometimes I think I needed twice the number of Irq's and Drq's...

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br