Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:48:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike <spork@startrekmail.com>
To:        Kerberus <kerberus@inetu.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: best way to upgrade

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Kerberus wrote:

>     Ok exactly what is the best way to upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.1 ,
> should i do this by source or should i use the sysinstall method, what
> problems if any, should i be aware of potentially runnning into, ie..
> boot block problems, bad make world, ports not compiling ??? ive seen
> alot of traffic about 3.1 problems.... are these centralized due to the
> build of 3.1 or are they varied dependent on the user/system upgraded

I have no experience with the sysinstall method, but the make world method
work perfectly well for me.

1. Make backups.
2. cvsup newest source- (RELENG_3 is the tag)
3. cd /usr/src && make aout-to-elf-buildworld && shutdown now
   will rebuild entire system to new version. This will take a lot of
   time, several hours on my PII 300/128M/UW SCSI machine.
4. Once you are in singleuser, cd /usr/src again and make
   aout-to-elf-installworld. Do not interrupt this process, or it may
   leave your system unbootable.
5. Install the new elf aware bootblocks- refer to
   www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/boot.txt for details.
6. Reboot the machine. You will now be running an elf system, and will
   have to do certain things like set your ldconfig -aout path and rebuild
   your ports. I set up all my ports to get rebuilt in sequence, with a
   simple shell script, which took a while put got everything done.

Good luck.

> thanks in advance.
>
> K.

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com
	 Finger gronimw@shell.stuy.edu for PGP public key.

		The majority only rules those who let them.