Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 23:49:49 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCP/IP problem

A friend of mine has the following problem: when trying a telnet to
a (certain?) remote host, FreeBSD takes almost three minutes, while
a NT from the same subnet takes less than thirty. If this problem
cannot be solved, there is a great chance of FreeBSD being dumped in
this place.

I suspect this can be solved just by tweaking the TCP/IP options in
the FreeBSD box, but since I have never personally experienced this
kind of problem, I don't recall what are the prime suspects here.

What are the knobs she should try tweaking? Also, what kind of
information she could collect to track this problem? I'll be asking
her to give me a tcpdump of both the FreeBSD and the NT box telnet
connection, but I'm not sure what else to ask for.

Thanks for any help,

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"What kind of psychologist laughs at her patients?"
	"I don't laugh at all of them."