Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:08:15 -0500
From:      "Andrew Kaplan" <noc@cshore.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   compile Realtek 8139C+ support in 4.5 kernel

But I'm having difficulty recompiling my 4.5 kernel to support the Realtek
Rtl8139C+ on motherboard nic. Below are the instructions.

I followed the instructions (recompiled without any error messages) but the
NIC still isn't working.

I'm afraid I don't understand:

>>0.Replace your NIC with 8139C+.

 The nic is built in to the motherboard. I see "rl" listed under PCI nics
when I vi GENERIC. I assume I need to change something in this file. I just
don't know what.

This driver is modified by Realtek Semiconductor corp. and it has been
tested OK
on FreeBSD 4.3. Because the FreeBSD kernel has a default Rtl8139C driver,
this
default driver will be loaded even though the NIC on your computer is
Rtl8139C+
(because they have the same vender ID and device ID). To use the new
features of
8139C+, you need to update your NIC driver and recompile your FreeBSD
kernel.

The main steps you have to do:(FreeBSDSrcDir means the directory of FreeBSD
source code
and it may be "/usr/src/sys")

	0.Replace your NIC with 8139C+.
	1.copy if_rl.c and if_rlreg.h to /FreeBSDSrcDir/pci directory
	2.copy rl directory to /FreeBSDSrcDir/modules directory
	3.recompile your kernel	(you must install your FreeBSD source code first
!!)

		# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
		# /usr/sbin/config GENERIC
		# cd ../../compile/GENERIC
		# make depend
		# make
		# make install
		# reboot

Andrew P. Kaplan
Network Administrator
CyberShore, Inc.
http://www.cshore.com

"Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take
effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]"

---