Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:03:37 -0600
From:      "John" <sephtin@techgodz.com>
To:        "Redmond Militante" <r-militante@northwestern.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfw/natd questions

> - i've run an ethernet cable from xl1 - integrated intel 1000 pro nic on
machine 1 - to machine 2's nic.
> i've edited machine 2's /etc/rc.conf so that it points to the internal
nic - xl1 on machine 1 as it's default gateway:

Ethernet cable?  Or crossover cable?
If it's straight cable, you need another hub and cable.. or a crossover
cable instead.

> <snip>
> defaultrouter="10.20.155.1"
> hostname="machine2.hostname.com"
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 129.x.x.20 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> <snip>

On another note, if I read that correctly.. you connected a nic that is
configured with IP of 129.x.x.x to a nic with an IP of 10.x.x.x.
You would more than likely want the nic on machine2 to be on the 10.x.x.x
subnet for this configuration.

Afterwards, you should at least be able to ping your internal interface on
machine1 from machine2 (It looks like you're allowing it in your IPFW
rules...).

Once you can ping.. (or begin to see traffic on the internal interface in
the logs for IPFW), you can start troubleshooting the IPFW rules, if
necessary.

HTH,
John