Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:27:21 +0900 (JST)
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Zach Brown" <zab@zabbo.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimization

Unheedful of thy elder's warnings, Zach Brown wrote:

> Don't forget the effects of caching.  If x/y are always referenced
> together, and memory is slow slow slow (on, say, any processor made in
> the last few years)  then the cost of unmushing the data in the cpu
> could be much cheaper than the cost of going to memory to get x and y
> from different tables.   It all depends on access patterns.

That's why I used a table of structure instead of two tables. The second
fetch on the alternative A is all but garanteed to be cached.

> do some benchmarking.  extra credit for using cpu counters to get Real
> Numbers :)   http://www.fz-juelich.de/zam/PCL/doc/pcl/pcl.html

Benchmarks can be deceiving if you don't know the issues behind the
code.

--
Daniel C. Sobral		  (8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

The smallest worm will turn being trodden on.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"