Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 11:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        kutta@leland.Stanford.EDU (John W. Chang)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: info..

John W. Chang wrote:

> I am about to install my first freeBSD installation on my pc but I
> am puzzled by seeing other "free" bsd OS's around... for instance, there
> is the NetBSD and the OpenBSD... and there is the 4.4 BSD Lite...
> Who knows what else is there.  Can you explain to me the difference
> between them (not the tedious technical details though) and
> are they in fact very closely related???  Which one is the best to get
> and what are the strengths??

For the first BSD installation, FreeBSD is (arguably) the best. For
the Intel x86 hardware, FreeBSD seems to me more 'featureful'. (I've
used all three and Linux, too). Open- and Net- seem to require (or
desire) some Unix background. But all three can be successfully brought
up by a newbie. The support network for new users is most extensive
with FreeBSD.

The three free BSD's share a common ancestor in 4.4 BSD Lite (loosely
speaking). 4.4 BSD Lite is probably not available for installation
and operation on a PC; it is more of a study tool.

They are all very closely related, and to the casual user, nearly
indistinguishable. Visit all three websites: www.freebsd.org,
www.netbsd.org, www.openbsd.org.  I see you have an address at
stanford.edu -- go down to the computer science department and ask
some of the geeks.

Dave
--
        Is the true purpose of Unix its use, or its administration?