Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:37:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Jon Drukman <jsd@gamespot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS mounts hang system at boot time

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Jon Drukman wrote:

> One of my machines mounts some NFS systems when it boots.  We had a power
> failure last night and the machine that provides the NFS mounts didn't
> come back up, so the other one didn't either - I got in this morning and
> it says "NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out" all over
> the console.
>
> Is there any way to get the mounting machine to only try a few times
> before giving up?  Or some other way to make NFS failure less
> catastrophic?
>
> Thanks...

if you read the mount_nfs man page you'll see that there is an option
for this:

"bg" - do the mount in the background.

here's a line from my fstab:

server:/vol/extra/ports /usr/ports      nfs        (wrapped)
    rw,noauto,bg,intr,nfsv3,tcp,-r=16384,-w=16384   0       0

the (wrapped) just means that this should be one line.

I wouldn't recommend all those flags currently, but the
'intr' and 'bg' are pretty useful.

good luck,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer