Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:17:59 -0700
From:      Tamiji Homma <thomma@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed

> WordStar ripoff. Anybody ever used WordStar? It used to be THE text
> processor on the IBM PC platform, and just about every editor written
> for the PC until the early nineties was either a WordStar clone or had
> a WordStar compatibility mode.

I have used ws.com for CP/M 8080(IIRC, it was version 0.9)
whose size is only 26KB.  It was a wonderful full screen
oriented editor in 1981 or 1982 running on CP/M 80.

After some new releases, ws.com got much bigger and did
reloading *.OVR(?) file when you ask WordStart to do something
difficult.  I started disliking WordStar when it gets bigger
as most people do.

However we could have enough programming tools fitting in one 8 inch
floopy diskette.  Anywhere I can find a CP/M machine, I could hack.
The 8 inch floopy diskette used to cost about $10 per diskette in Japan.

I have several friends who still use WordStar key binding in Emacs
today.  I guess they are still in love with WordStar...  I'm not.

Tammy

PS: I am ed user when I'm in trouble :-) booting single user mode.