Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 04:07:17 -0700
From:      William Maddox <maddox@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Survey of FreeBSD users on PCI/SCSI hardware

I'm interested in putting together a system to run FreeBSD from
scratch.  Browsing through some of the driver sources and reading some
of the comments and disclaimers, I stronly suspect that the drivers
for the various supported IO devices vary quite a bit in quality, both
in terms of robustness and the extent to which they exploit the
potential performance of the hardware.  I've also seen a lot of
reports going by on the mailing lists about problems with motherboards
and other components.  There seems to be some documentation in the FAQ
on supported hardware and a short list of systems "known to work", but
the one I saw was pitifully small considering the number of FreeBSD
users out there.  I am therefore conducting a little survey to try to
fill out the list somewhat, particularly for the benefit of people who
are buying hardware specifically to run FreeBSD as an open-architecture
alternative to proprietary workstation-class machines.  I will collect
the responses and send them to interested parties, as well as to the FAQ
maintainer.

I am interested in hearing from users who are currently running FreeBSD
on high-peformance Pentium or fast 486 PCI/SCSI-based systems.

I have the following specific questions about your setup:

1) What make and model of motherboard are you using?  If it is a no-name
   generic, what chip set does it use?

2) If you are running a PCI/SCSI-based system, what make and model
   of host adapter are you using?  Also, make and model of disk drives,
   tape drives, CD-ROM, etc.

3) How robust does FreeBSD appear to be on your configuration?  Have you
   had device-driver related problems on your system, and how frequent or
   troublesome have they been?

4) Have you have had the opportunity to compare peformance or reliability
   of your present hardware configuration with another one?  If so, what
   were the results?

5) What make/model of graphics adapter do you use?  Is it accelerated?
   If you use X, how "snappy" does it feel?  If you've used a workstation
   class machine, how does X performance on your FreeBSD machine stack up?

Thanks,

William Maddox