Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:36:04 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Mirroring

> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:58:50 +1030
> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Thursday, 24 February 2000 at 10:43:29 -0800, Jon Rust wrote:

> >> raid 1 with ccd works wonderfully
> >>

> > ccd?! Why not use Vinum? Up to date, supported, actively
> > maintained... Is ccd actively maintained (honest question)?
>
> I believe some work is still going on, but it's not very much.
>
> > Any 2, non-boot drives, will work.
>
> RSN we'll have boot device support too.

Any chance you would be willing to divulge what RSN means? Are we
talking weeks or months? The Vinum web pages talk about possible
approaches to doing this, but no approach was even singled out as the
one to be used, so I didn't realize that any real coding had even
started. I'm excited!

Also, the original message says "2, non-boot drives". I thought that I
could set up any partition as a Vinum virtual disk. Is it really
restricted to an entire physical device?

Thanks!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)